Remodels are stressful, but they can also be very exciting. Major remodels take time, but simple remodels can easily be completed by any do it yourself person. This is a common practice, but asbestos does not cross most minds. Asbestos exposure is relatively common, especially in older homes, and can cause significant illnesses. Asbestos testing is a simple test on your property that can ensure you will not disturb any asbestos and that your home is free from the dangerous fiber. Below we will discuss what asbestos is and what it can do your body.
Asbestos is a naturally growing fiber that has been used in all types of construction materials. Asbestos-containing materials were more common in the 80s and even 90s, but it is still being used in some materials across the United States. Newer homes can still contain asbestos. Asbestos can cause mesothelioma, lung cancer, respiratory issues, and even death. Regulations are being put into place to protect people, but exposure can still happen, especially if you are remodeling your home.
Asbestos fibers can not be seen, making it difficult to know if you are disturbing asbestos or being exposed. The only way to know for sure is through an asbestos test. These tests are completed on materials throughout your home and then tested in a lab for accurate results. Asbestos can be in all types of materials, including:
• Wallpaper Adhesives
• Textured Paint
As you can see, these are items you would most likely remodel. Asbestos testing should be completed before any remodel, including small ones. These tests should only be completed by a certified asbestos removal professional, such as Disaster Cleanup Services, as it is illegal to remove and dispose of asbestos without the proper licenses. If your property does contain asbestos, they will be able to remove it safely and ensure no one becomes exposed.